Why are we so concerned about pressure injuries?
- A common cause of hospitalisation: Once they go home after rehab, most SCI patients would rather they never had to visit hospital again. However 39% of patients who are re-hospitalised in the first year after SCI are admitted for pressure ulcers.
- Increased care needs: Having pressure ulcers likely means you require extra help with your personal care. This means patients can go from mostly or completely independent to needing a lot of help and losing that independence.
- Expense: about 25% of the total lifetime cost of medical care for a person with SCI is related to pressure sores. SCI is an expensive situation and that cost needs to be reduced where possible.
- Personal cost: Pressure sores have a dramatic impact on the life of a person with SCI and have multiple negative consequences. Loss of income, increased care costs, loss of usual activities and sources of life satisfaction are just some of the personal costs.
- Death: About 7-8% of deaths in the SCI population are related to a pressure sore, and most likely result from sepsis, an infection that spreads through the body in the blood and tissues.
Four Stages of Pressure Injury:
Latest Blog Posts
RAZ-Postural Management Without Accessories
Good posture is important because it helps keep your body in alignment, which can contribute to a more effective bowel management routine.
RAZ- Maintaining Independence and Dignity
It is important to ensure that persons are able to remain as independent as possible as this can promote positive feelings, help with purpose, scene of achievem...
RAZ- Why you should consider pressure relief whilst prescribing a shower chair?
Pressure relief should be considered with the same importance as if you were prescribing a bed or comfy chair.
RAZ- Why should you know where the ischial pelvic alignment system is?
It is vital to understand where a client’s ischials are in order to create the perfect alignment with the aperture of the seat.
At Wealden Rehab we have designed bariatric chairs that can support up to 80 stone and offer different frame and pressure relief options. ...
Is your equipment contract list created using real whole-life model costs? Is the initial price disguising ongoing maintenance expenses and longevity faults? ...