Why are we so concerned about pressure injuries?
- A common cause of hospitalisation: Once they go home after rehab, most SCI patients would rather they never had to visit hospital again. However 39% of patients who are re-hospitalised in the first year after SCI are admitted for pressure ulcers.
- Increased care needs: Having pressure ulcers likely means you require extra help with your personal care. This means patients can go from mostly or completely independent to needing a lot of help and losing that independence.
- Expense: about 25% of the total lifetime cost of medical care for a person with SCI is related to pressure sores. SCI is an expensive situation and that cost needs to be reduced where possible.
- Personal cost: Pressure sores have a dramatic impact on the life of a person with SCI and have multiple negative consequences. Loss of income, increased care costs, loss of usual activities and sources of life satisfaction are just some of the personal costs.
- Death: About 7-8% of deaths in the SCI population are related to a pressure sore, and most likely result from sepsis, an infection that spreads through the body in the blood and tissues.
Four Stages of Pressure Injury:
Latest Blog Posts
Which shower trolley do I choose?
When investing in a shower trolley it is essential to ensure the specification is right.
Supportive and safe bathing - reduce the risks
Bathing children is an enjoyable experience for them but can be challenging for the parent or carer.
Combatting hospital equipment theft with the Axi2Go
As hospital budgets continue to be pressured and cuts are made, the effects of device and equipment theft become more significant
Shower chair assessment - your clinical considerations
When purchasing a shower chair, it’s critical to determine the user’s level of mobility and support needed
Users & Carers Love the Barella Shower Trolley
Carers and users often give us feedback like: ‘The Barella shower trolley has made the entire bathing process so much easier. Thank you!’
The cost benefits of using recyclable care equipment
The cost of a shower chair can escalate over time as maintenance, training and repair bills aren’t always factored in