Why are we so concerned about pressure injuries?
- A common cause of hospitalisation: Once they go home after rehab, most SCI patients would rather they never had to visit hospital again. However 39% of patients who are re-hospitalised in the first year after SCI are admitted for pressure ulcers.
- Increased care needs: Having pressure ulcers likely means you require extra help with your personal care. This means patients can go from mostly or completely independent to needing a lot of help and losing that independence.
- Expense: about 25% of the total lifetime cost of medical care for a person with SCI is related to pressure sores. SCI is an expensive situation and that cost needs to be reduced where possible.
- Personal cost: Pressure sores have a dramatic impact on the life of a person with SCI and have multiple negative consequences. Loss of income, increased care costs, loss of usual activities and sources of life satisfaction are just some of the personal costs.
- Death: About 7-8% of deaths in the SCI population are related to a pressure sore, and most likely result from sepsis, an infection that spreads through the body in the blood and tissues.
Four Stages of Pressure Injury:
Latest Blog Posts
Advantages of using a Ceiling Track Hoist
Over the last decade there has been an increase in the use of overhead hoists, across all environments including hospitals, care homes and hospices, sports cent...
Can A Ceiling Hoist Be Used By One Person?
When using a hoist, whether that’s in a hospital, care home, school or at home, it’s important to know whether it can be used by one person. In gene...
Wealden Rehab awarded SafeContractor & ConstructionLine Gold accreditations
Wealden Rehab has recently renewed our ConstructionLine Gold and SafeContractor accreditations, demonstrating our long-standing commitment to health and safety....
Changing Places Awareness Day 2019
Celebrating the achievement of Changing Places across the world, we're proud to take part in the Changing Places Day this year.
Ramp replacements provide outstanding access
Our client in West London had a wooden ramp which required replacement to maintain safety.
Urgent adaptations for a case management client
Our project delivery team has been instructed to carry out some urgent adaptations works for a case management client.