Why are we so concerned about pressure injuries?
- A common cause of hospitalisation: Once they go home after rehab, most SCI patients would rather they never had to visit hospital again. However 39% of patients who are re-hospitalised in the first year after SCI are admitted for pressure ulcers.
- Increased care needs: Having pressure ulcers likely means you require extra help with your personal care. This means patients can go from mostly or completely independent to needing a lot of help and losing that independence.
- Expense: about 25% of the total lifetime cost of medical care for a person with SCI is related to pressure sores. SCI is an expensive situation and that cost needs to be reduced where possible.
- Personal cost: Pressure sores have a dramatic impact on the life of a person with SCI and have multiple negative consequences. Loss of income, increased care costs, loss of usual activities and sources of life satisfaction are just some of the personal costs.
- Death: About 7-8% of deaths in the SCI population are related to a pressure sore, and most likely result from sepsis, an infection that spreads through the body in the blood and tissues.
Four Stages of Pressure Injury:
Latest Blog Posts
£30 Million funding for Changing Places toilets now open for applications
Councils are urged to apply for a share of the fund, which will be used to install life-improving Changing Places toilets.
Therapy Integration event: Live workshop
Our expert team is delighted to be conducting live, in-person workshops again!
Changing Places Awareness Day: An opportunity for everyone
To mark Changing Places Awareness Day in 2021, we are exploring the importance of these facilities, their impact on a business or destination, and how we can he...
Assessing shower chairs for bariatric users
There are three main points to consider when providing a shower/toilet chair for a bariatric/plus sized user.
Anti corrosion process for the Barella shower trolley
How does the Barella trolley differ from others on the market? This is a question that gets asked from time to time. Over the last ten years we’ve learnt that t...
Barella Shower Trolley gets mattress upgrade...
The Barella Shower Trolley now with a new mattress design for additional comfort.