This article includes 2 central points from a talk with the occupational therapist, Catherine Young, who provided several expert insights on the benefits of height-adjustable wash basins for both its users and health care professionals.
1. How does a height adjustable wash basin benefit an old or disabled person?
- It enables them to vary the height of the wash basin and compensate for the loss of physical function, impaired standing tolerance and coordination.
- The washbasin can adapt to improvement or deterioration in the disabled/older person’s health and physique, strength and stamina.
- In relation to the needs of a disabled child, the basin can be repositioned and adjusted to support the child’s growth and development.
- A height-adjustable wash basin may support a rehabilitation program/graded activity. It can assist people to ‘regain’ or ‘relearn’ skills that have been lost or impaired due to illness, injury, and disability. It may also support the ‘retention’ and ‘maintenance’ of skills and function.
- A height-adjustable wash basin may be an integral feature of managing/mitigating risk issues (person, task or environmental). Support safe moving and handling techniques.
- The physical accessibility of the basin allows personal choice and independence over water temperature, water pressure and sensory experience.
- The versatility promotes independence and wellbeing, autonomy over the task, privacy, intimacy, dignity, self-worth, age-appropriate independence and it may address cultural or religious considerations.
- The basin may enable a disabled person to maintain a role within the household (e.g. parenting role – supporting a dependent to use a basin).
- Having an accessible wash basin makes the individuals accountable for their own hygiene.
2. How does a height adjustable wash basin support a health care professional in his/her work?
- It supports the assessment of task, activity analysis and care planning.
- It can be used as a tool within a personalised treatment plan.
- It can be used to ‘grade’ an occupation to make it appropriate in terms of need and ability.
- It enables and supports risk management of the occupation.
- It promotes independence and helps lessen the need for ongoing care and support from statutory services.
In conclusion, height adjustable wash basins may have a great impact on users’ independence and support health care professionals’ work on several levels.
With thanks to Pressalit for the content
We can assist with the planning of your bathroom and provide a wide range of height-adjustable basins both manual and electric.
Latest Blog Posts
Bariatric shower chair range extended
Additional seat widths added from the beginning of 2021, to make specification easier.
Training for success
Our 2020 Training Program has been very popular and is highly recommended by Occupational Therapists who have participated.
Christmas Opening Hours - 2020
Our opening times and support cover for the Christmas break, 2020.
Into the 2nd lockdown - we're here for you
Supporting our customers and supply chain as we go into winter
New overview video shot for the GoLift
We've shot a new video...
Positive review for the Axi2Go chair
We welcome feedback from our customers. Here we share the positive experience with the Axi2Go Transport chair.