This article includes 2 central points from a talk with the occupational therapist, Catherine Young, who provided several expert insights on the benefits of height-adjustable wash basins for both its users and health care professionals.
1. How does a height adjustable wash basin benefit an old or disabled person?
- It enables them to vary the height of the wash basin and compensate for the loss of physical function, impaired standing tolerance and coordination.
- The washbasin can adapt to improvement or deterioration in the disabled/older person’s health and physique, strength and stamina.
- In relation to the needs of a disabled child, the basin can be repositioned and adjusted to support the child’s growth and development.
- A height-adjustable wash basin may support a rehabilitation program/graded activity. It can assist people to ‘regain’ or ‘relearn’ skills that have been lost or impaired due to illness, injury, and disability. It may also support the ‘retention’ and ‘maintenance’ of skills and function.
- A height-adjustable wash basin may be an integral feature of managing/mitigating risk issues (person, task or environmental). Support safe moving and handling techniques.
- The physical accessibility of the basin allows personal choice and independence over water temperature, water pressure and sensory experience.
- The versatility promotes independence and wellbeing, autonomy over the task, privacy, intimacy, dignity, self-worth, age-appropriate independence and it may address cultural or religious considerations.
- The basin may enable a disabled person to maintain a role within the household (e.g. parenting role – supporting a dependent to use a basin).
- Having an accessible wash basin makes the individuals accountable for their own hygiene.
2. How does a height adjustable wash basin support a health care professional in his/her work?
- It supports the assessment of task, activity analysis and care planning.
- It can be used as a tool within a personalised treatment plan.
- It can be used to ‘grade’ an occupation to make it appropriate in terms of need and ability.
- It enables and supports risk management of the occupation.
- It promotes independence and helps lessen the need for ongoing care and support from statutory services.
In conclusion, height adjustable wash basins may have a great impact on users’ independence and support health care professionals’ work on several levels.
With thanks to Pressalit for the content
We can assist with the planning of your bathroom and provide a wide range of height-adjustable basins both manual and electric.
Latest Blog Posts
Barella shower trolley is top of its class
Built to last, the Barella is the ideal shower trolley offering versatility for multiple users
Supportive and safe bathing with the Turtle bath aid
The Turtle bath support offers a versatile aid for paediatrics and young adults
User independence can reduce care package costs
Investing wisely in equipment can reduce care intervention
Our Seasonal opening times 2022/23
Our team are here for you but we will be taking a break between the 24th December and 2nd January 2023.
Supportive and safe bathing - reduce the risks
Bathing children is an enjoyable experience for them but can be challenging for the parent or carer.
Combatting hospital equipment theft with the Axi2Go
As hospital budgets continue to be pressured and cuts are made, the effects of device and equipment theft become more significant